Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Chapter 35: Spouse/Dependent Education Assist Program (DEA)

Dependents/Spouse of veterans that are 100% service-connected disabled/deceased. Chapter 35 DEA includes a monthly housing allowance paid according to the number of credit hours received.

  • Dependent/Spouse of Veterans that are 100% service-connected disabled/deceased/MIA
  • Entitlement is generally 45 months of full-time benefit payments, if the person began using the program before August 1, 2018.  If the person began using the program on August 1, 2018 or after, then entitlement is 36 months. 
  • Benefit cannot be used after 10 years from the date of eligibility for spouses
  • Benefit cannot be used after 8 years from the date of eligibility for dependents (not beyond age 26)
  • Effective October 1, 2013, some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for up to 81 months of GI Bill benefits if they use the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program in conjunction with an entitlement from another VA Education program.  

More information about eligibility can be found at the following site: Survivors’ And Dependents’ Educational Assistance | Veterans Affairs (

Step 1: Complete and submit the electronic VA Form 22-5490

Step 2: Student Submits Required Documents to the Office of Financial Aid/VA

  • Veterans Basic Data Sheet
  • Certificate of Eligibility or Eligibility Statement
  • Primary School Letter, if student is a transient student

Step 3: Student Completes and Submits a VA Request for Enrollment Certification (Every Semester)

  • During Registration Each semester, after you have completed your schedule and do not expect to make any changes, please complete the VA Enrollment Certification Request Survey.  This survey link will be sent to your Clayton State email each week after registration, until you complete the survey or until the semester ends; whichever occurs first.  When the new link is sent, the old link expires.
  • If you do not submit a request, your enrollment certification will not be submitted.
  • If you choose not to receive VA Educational Benefits for the current term, please complete the Request to Submit Enrollment Certification Survey and select that you do not want to submit your enrollment certification to VA.

Step 4: VA Certifying Official Submits Enrollment Certification for Required Courses

  • Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits are not applicable for non-required courses nor requirements that have already been successfully satisfied, according to the program standards. 
  • A Veterans Affairs Certifying Official will review the courses and compare it to the requirements of the degree program and submit the enrollment certification to VA for processing.

Please be mindful that changes to the registration/schedule, degree program, attendance and such like can result in overpayments/underpayments of VA Educational Benefits. 

To calculate your benefits, please feel free to use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool.

This benefit does not include payment for tuition and fees. Payment for tuition and fees are expected by the payment deadline.

These benefits include a monthly stipend based on the number of credit hours certified per term.  Rates are subject to change annually. The rate change is usually effective October 1st of each year.

Payments are based on the previous month’s enrollment. Since the Department of Veterans Affairs no longer pays for break pay, benefits for courses out applies when courses are in session.  Consider this when taking courses with different beginning and ending dates.

Changes to eligibility, enrollment, schedule, attendance, programs of study and such like can affect your VA Educational Benefits.

Please be mindful that you cannot use Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance for the same courses which Federal Tuition Assistance is being paid.