Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Housing Frequently Asked Questions


Housing and meal plans rates are set annually for the academic year. Housing contracts terms may be selected for one or more terms (fall, spring, and summer). Residents of Laker Hall are required to select and purchase (fall and spring only) one of three residential meal plan options that consist of a combination of meals per week and Dining Dollars. Laker Village students may, but are not required to, choose from a host of meal plan options through the LakerCard center. Room and meal plan charges are posted directly to the resident's university account and available financial aid funds can be used to pay all or some of the costs. All tuition, housing, and meal plan charges must be paid in full prior to move-in, and students with a balance due will not be permitted access to their room/building.

Laker Hall Rates

Laker Village Rates

The housing fee includes use of a furnished assigned room space, suite and common area amenities, laundry and all utilities such as electric, water, cable tv, xFinity, Wi-Fi and refuse.

Students planning on living in University Housing (Laker Hall or Laker Village) who meet the full-time enrollment requirement should apply and submit the required nonrefundable application fee through the University Housing website as soon as possible. Housing application and contract deadlines are posted on the university housing website.

Laker Hall—Only full-time, enrolled Clayton State students are eligible to live in Laker Hall. (A minimum of three (3) credit hours are required to live on campus during the summer term.)

Laker Village—Any current University System of Georgia student is permitted to live at Laker Village. Valid proof of enrollment is required for each term of residence. Exceptions to this may be made on a case-by-case basis by the Director of Housing.

Laker Hall—Yes, while the Laker Hallsuites are equipped with kitchenettes that are perfect for fixing a quick afternoon or late-night snack, the required residential meal plan is designed to promote academic success and wellness, which includes a balanced, healthy diet. There are two residential meal plans from which to choose that will suit residents with a hearty appetite and those who prefer to have more flexibility with their dining options. There are a number of different dining options on campus including Lakeside Dining Hall, Chilaca's, Da BrixSub Stand, Chick-fil-A Express and The Grind.

Laker Village—No, Meal plans are optional on the housing application. There are a variety of residential and alternative plans available to Laker Village residents.

Ideally, a resident must be a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the fall and spring semesters (three (3) minimum for Summer term) in order to reside in University Housing. A resident must receive special permission from the Director of Housing to remain in housing if he/she drops below the minimum required credit hours.

Each resident is financially responsible for paying the housing fee for the period that is selected on the original contract. A "Housing Cancellation/Termination" form must be submitted to the University Housing Office in order to officially terminate a contract. In most cases, a termination fee will be assessed to the student based on the date of termination and in accordance termination fee schedule, unless the student qualifies and provides documentation for waiver of the termination fee as specified in the official contract.

There are a variety of safety and security features on campus and as well as in University Housing facilities. Such features include a campus security center, 24-hour police patrol, and an emergency alert system. In addition, residence facilities are equipped with a number of interior and exterior security cameras and there is a 24-Hour Service/Community Desk in the lobby area of Laker Hall. LakerHall has swipe card access into the building and the suite, and each individual bedroom has its own key. As is the case at any institution, students should take all reasonable safety precautions, walk in groups at night, and be aware of surroundings at all times.

Other than authorized University Housing staff, only students who are residents of a university housing facility will have access to that building, suite, and room. The resident will need to swipe his/her Laker Card, in order to access these areas. All guests, including parents and other relatives, must have the resident's permission to enter, show valid photo ID, and sign in/out at the Community Desk.

In the event of a serious situation such as a fire or medical emergency, a resident should immediately contact Public Safety by calling (678) 466-4050. Residents may contact the Laker Hall 24-Hour Community Desk, (678) 466-5130, for general assistance and other inquiries.

University Housing and Residence Life employs a 24-hour staff including over 30 Resident Assistants who reside throughout the housing and are available to assist residents. In addition, the 24-Hour Community Desk at Laker Hall staff is trained to assist residents with issues from maintenance to emergencies. Each Resident Assistant has specific days/times when they are "on-duty." There is always at least one Resident Assistant on-duty during nights/weekends. The professional staff will work in the office in the residence hall during business hours. There is always an administrative staff member on-call 24/7 to respond to emergency situations.

Other FAQs