Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Student Employment

Looking for a job? Recreation and Wellness does not offer “jobs,” we provide opportunities for growth, development and fun. Develop a sense of responsibility, gain valuable work experience, enhance your resume and earn money at the same time!

Entry level positions include: 

  • Student Group X Instructor (ACSM, AFAA, ACE or other nationally recognized certification required)
  • Student Personal Trainer (ACSM, AFAA, ACE or other nationally recognized certification required)
  • Fitness Assistant
  • Intramural Official
  • Outdoor Adventure Leader

Promotions from within may be received for the positions of Fitness Center Supervisor, Intramural Supervisor, and Outdoor Adventure Trip Leader. Hiring for all Recreation and Wellness positions is typically completed the semester prior to the initial date of employment. Applications for Fitness Center Assistants will be accepted throughout the year.   Click for Employment Application

Employment FAQ

Do I have to be certified in First Aid, CPR, and AED to apply?
No, applicants are not required to be certified in these areas, however, a current certification is preferred. Hired applicants who are not fully certified will need to attend a Red Cross certifications course.

Do all parts of the application need to be filled out to be considered for an interview?
No, we understand if incoming freshman don't know their student ID number or times of availability. WE DO NEED a reliable way to contact you.

Are non-students eligible for employment?
No, only students who have been accepted and are currently enrolled in classes at Clayton State University for the term they are applying for will be considered for employment at the DRW this includes Group X Instructors and Personal Trainers. How do I become an Intramural Sports Official? Please submit an Employment application and current resume to become an IM Official. Previous experience in officiating preferred.

How do I become a Personal Trainer or Group Fitness Instructor?
When a nationally recognized Personal Training certification is earned, please submit the following to the Associate Director of Recreation and Wellness... 1. Employment application  2. Current resume 3  Copies of certifications including GFI, PT, First Aid/CPR/AED 4. Liability insurance If selected to interview for this position, contact will be made via the Clayton State University email address

What does an Outdoor Adventure Leader do?
Outdoor Adventure Leaders are responsible for assisting in the planning, marketing, implementation, and assessment of Outdoor Adventure trips and Laker Challenge Course workshops, and gear lending.

  • Challenge Course Facilitators are responsible for setting up, devising and safely guiding multiple participants through a series of programmed elements to achieve their desired outcomes by way of experiential learning in a professional manner. It is the facilitators’ responsibility to promote self-confidence, positive group dynamics, leadership, and problem solving abilities. Challenge Course Facilitators are also responsible for assisting in the inspection and maintenance of the Laker Challenge Course.
  • Outdoor Adventure Volunteer Trip Leaders are responsible for assisting in the planning and leading of outdoor adventure trips.