Skip to Content Skip to Footer
 banner image

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Study Abroad

Have questions about studying abroad? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below to review the Clayton State Study Abroad Office procedures.

Students seeking a global academic experience can learn the how-to's of studying abroad by scheduling an advising appointment with the Clayton State Study Abroad Office or reaching out to the Program Director hosting the program. Students are strongly advised to complete a Traveler Profile Builder and attend an advising session with the Study Abroad Office, a session can last from 30 minutes to an hour, as this is the first step in planning a study abroad experience. Students can also search for and learn specific details about programs at Clayton State on the study abroad website. Once a program has been selected, students may complete the online application. For additional advising prior to applying to a program, students may request an appointment with a study abroad advisor by booking an appointment online.

Check out our 'How to Study Abroad?' webpage where students can learn more about the study abroad process and understanding your next steps. We also offer some helpful resources.

Schedule an Advising Appointment: Get more specific information from the Study Abroad Team about study abroad programming opportunities at or outside of Clayton State.

  • Book an appointment online.
  • Select the General Advising Session (or the advising session most appropriate to your advising needs) and select the date and time. Click on the “i” for each session to learn more about what each advising session covers and to understand how we assist during the advising session.
  • Once you have set up your appointment, please complete the Traveler Profile Builder to assist our team with your advising session. Utilize this form to provide us with as much information as you can about what you would like to discuss. This will help us tailor the advising session to your needs.

It can take about a year to a year and half to plan to go abroad. You can apply for a program as soon as the programs open for enrollment.

Planning early allows students to stay up-to-date on program payment dates, meeting requirements that are needed to apply, etc. When students apply and start the process early (such as completing the study abroad documents before the deadlines) this can help mitigate confusion and stress later.

This will also allow students to prepare a budget plan for the program, apply for a passport, or any other processes that are required.

Check out our How to Study Abroad? webpage to get started.

Study Abroad Office
James M. Baker University Center (UC)
Office Suite 204 – UC Main Street, second floor of the UC, across from the Loch Nest. Building #11 on the Clayton State campus map.
(678) 466-4092

  • Must be 18 years or older to attend a study abroad program.
  • Must be in Good-Academic Standing with a recommended GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  • Study abroad is a mandatory requirement for MBA students focusing on the International Business concentration. Study abroad is required for students in this concentration in order to meet their graduation requirements. Failure to attend the program will jeopardize the student’s graduation deadline.
  • Be aware that some Financial Aid requires that a Study Abroad Program Must Fill the Students’ Academic Course Requirements or Course Electives. Please speak with a Financial Aid advisor before applying for the study abroad program.
  • Currently have or in the process of obtaining a Passport for international travel.
  • If you are in your senior or final year as a student, students will have limited options or none at all in regards to study abroad opportunities.
  • Health Clearance Forms must be completed before the second program payment if the student needs to withdraw from the study abroad program. See the Health Clearance Form for more details.
  • Note: Tuition is separate from the study abroad program fees.
  • Meet with your Academic Advisor: Discuss your interest in the study abroad program and request information about your required course credits to complete your degree at Clayton State. Locate which desired study abroad program could fulfill your academic course requirements.

Clayton State offers programs taught in English in countries around the world. Clayton State offers short-term programs taught in English by Clayton State professors.

A study abroad experience can greatly enhance learning of a foreign language and provide an intense cultural immersion. Students can also find programs taught in another language. Mastering a second or third language can set you apart from the masses in the job market.

Accommodation choices vary depending on the program and can include hotels, residence halls, apartments or living with a host family. Specific housing information and roommate pairing will be discussed with your Program Director.

Generally speaking, study abroad programs range from two weeks to one year in duration. Some students who go abroad for a semester or an academic year decide to extend their stays. Some students also elect to participate in more than one study abroad program while pursuing a Clayton State University degree.

Clayton State primarily offers programs that are at least two weeks and are offered during the semester breaks (i.e. Spring Break in March or Maymester Break, the break between the Spring and Summer semesters).

To ensure credits taken abroad will count toward a Clayton State degree program, students are required to complete a Course Selection Form to verify that the academic course offered with the program meets a student’s graduation requirements. Part of this process includes for the student to meet with their Clayton State Academic Advisor and the Clayton State Financial Aid Office.

During a study abroad program, depending on the type of program (short-term, semester, etc.), the program will offer three or more hours of academic credit. Students will have the opportunity to earn three credit hours or more towards graduation requirements.

Check with the study abroad program to determine how many academic hours are offered to students. This information should be available on the programs website. As part of the Course Selection Form, confirm with your Academic Advisor if the course(s) meet your graduation requirements.

The Clayton State Study Abroad Office recommends that students attend a study abroad program that will offer courses that meet your graduation requirements.

Once an application has been submitted, the Program Director will review the application.

The Program Director (the faculty member) will review the application and approve the student’s application if the student meets the program requirement. There are several documents that student’s must complete such as the Course Selection Form, the Health Clearance Form, submitting a passport copy, and any additional documents required for the student’s program.

  • The Health Clearance Form has to be cleared by a physician or the University Health Services (UHS) to travel.
  • The course(s) must meet the student’s graduation requirements. This process is part of the Course Selection Form.
  • A valid and current passport has to be submitted.
  • These are all requirements of the application process.

The cost to study abroad varies greatly depending on location and length of stay abroad. In most cases, any financial aid, grants or scholarships you are already receiving may be applied to study abroad costs. Review our Financial Aid and Scholarship webpage to learn more about scholarships available to help offset the costs of studying abroad. Review the section about ‘Going Abroad Expenses’, which discusses budgeting for a program with the How Much Money Do I Need Worksheet.

Program application and scholarship application deadlines are determined by the specific program and time of year you plan to be abroad. The information below gives general guidelines for planning, however, students should check the program website for the exact deadline. Students are encouraged to begin the application process at least six to nine months prior to the semester they want to study abroad. We recommend that student’s not wait until the last week before the deadline to apply; the application might take several days to complete.

  • Spring semester programs: early November
  • Maymester/Summer programs: late January

The Program Director will complete your Clayton State course registration for the study abroad program. Any holds on your student account must be resolved before anyone can complete the study abroad registration.

When attending a Clayton State study abroad, please note that tuition & fees are separate from the study abroad program fees. Program fees are the fees paying for what is included in the study abroad program costs. The tuition & fees pay for the academic course associated with the program.

Passports are required for all international travel, including Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Processing can take up to 12 weeks or more; expedited service are available for an extra charge. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for comprehensive passport application information.

See our Passports & Visa page for announcements on current passport delays as of Fall 2021.

Passport renewal reminder: Some countries require a passport to be valid for a set number of months beyond the planned travel time; the rules of each country are accessible via the U.S. Department of State website.

A visa is a validation on your passport signifying that you have been approved to enter a particular country. The application process can take two to six weeks to complete and requirements vary widely by country. For country-specific information, visit the U.S. Department of State online.

Visa Procedures

Review our Passport & Visa webpage to learn more about visa procedures and your next steps.

Visa Procedures

Submitting a Visa Copy

Students must submit a copy of their travel visa (if applicable for travel) to the Study Abroad Office once the document has been applied to the student’s passport.

To learn more, submit the document by logging in and visit the Study Abroad Application Portal.

Submit Travel Visa

All Clayton State students participating in a study abroad program will be enrolled in international health, natural disaster, security and political evacuation, and emergency insurance, which is included in the program fee for Clayton State programs only.

For more information, visit the Travel and Medical Insurance page or visit the Clayton State CISI Insurance Coverage Plan page.

In most cases, pharmacies abroad will not refill prescriptions written by out-of-country physicians. Students should speak with their physicians well before traveling to arrange for sufficient medications to cover the duration of their program abroad.

  • International students who hold F-1 visas must contact the Study Abroad Office and International Student Services to discuss if the international student requires a visa prior to departing the United States.
  • Some countries may not require a travel visa, however, if they do, please note the following:
  • There are certain documents the Study Abroad Office and the Program Director must provide to students to submit to the embassy or consulate to obtain the travel visa.
  • International students must begin this step immediately as the process can be time consuming when working with a foreign embassy or consulate to obtain the necessary travel visa. It is imperative to begin this process immediately to determine whether the visa can be obtained before departure.
  • If the travel visa cannot be obtained before departure then this may disrupt the student’s attendance on the study abroad program.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to work with the foreign embassy or consulate to obtain the travel visa before the programs departure date.
  • International students will need to meet with the Director of International Programs, Ryan Packard to inform him of your study abroad travel plans. He will assist with updating the immigration and visa documentation for your exit and entry into the U.S.
  • International students must have their I-20s signed by Ryan Packard, the Director of International Programs before departing the country on a study abroad program. Failure to do so may cause exit and re-entry issues for students traveling to and from the United States.
  • The Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) does not pay for study abroad programs. If you have questions or concerns about this process, refer to the SACM contract or speak with your SACM advisor.
  • If you have a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, please take this document with you on the study abroad program. In addition, please make sure that this document does not expire while you are abroad.
  • To avoid any concerns returning to the U.S., please make sure you have all of the necessary re-entry papers.
  • If you have any questions about traveling in relation to the study abroad program, please speak to the Study Abroad Office or Ryan Packard, the Director of International Programs for additional assistance.
  • In addition, please see the section above in the International Student Requirements pertaining to the travel visa as this may also pertain to your attendance on the program.

Contact the Study Abroad Office at (678) 466-4092 or email