Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia requires all applicants to Clayton State University who wish to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes or who request an out-of-state tuition waiver to provide verification of their lawful presence in the United States*. To satisfy this requirement, students must submit one of the following documents to the Office of Admissions in Suite 150 of Edgewater Hall or via the Verification of Lawful Presence Submission Form:
- An approved, completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year. The Clayton State
University school code for the FAFSA is 008976.
- A current driver's license issued by the State of Georgia. A limited term driver's
license cannot be used to verify lawful presence. Certain out-of-state licenses may
be accepted. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information regarding out-of-state
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. Certain out-of-state
IDs may be accepted. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information regarding
- A certified U.S. birth certificate showing the prospective student was born in the
U.S. or a U.S. territory. A copy of the birth certificate will be accepted from the
student if the document is clear and the seal is visible.
- A current, valid permanent resident card (USCIS form 1-151 or 1-551).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or
a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. passport.
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- A current military ID. The ID must be presented in person. Dependents of a military member will not be able to verify lawful presence using this method. This method is only available to the military member.
PLEASE NOTE: Positive verification of lawful presence does not necessarily warrant an in-state classification. To be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, students must verify lawful presence and show that they meet the in-state tuition requirements as outlined in BOR Policy 4.3.2. Additional documentation may be required to prove in-state residency status.
*This requirement is detailed in Policy 4.3.4 Verification of Lawful Presence.